Homeowner Property Coverage Tips

After the recent snow and ice storms, homeowners may have many important questions about what storm damages are covered by their insurance.

While each insurance policy differs, the following are examples of what is and is not covered in a typical homeowner’s policy:

Flood damage. Standard homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. Flood coverage, however, is available in the form of a separate policy from the National Flood Insurance Program and takes 30 days to become effective. If your flooding was related to sewage backup, ask your insurance agent or carrier if an endorsement for sewer backup coverage was added to your homeowner’s policy. If so, your losses may be covered if the water damage was caused by sewer lines backing up through your home’s drain pipes. Call AAA Public Adjusters.

Power outages. Generally, there is no coverage for damage or a loss caused by a power outage if the source of the power outage did not occur on the insured premises. However, if the source of the power outage occurred on the insured premises, there is coverage.

Removal of trees and branches. The removal of downed trees and/or debris is covered if there is damage to a covered structure or the Pennsylvania governor declares the area where the damage occurred is a disaster area.

Additional living expenses. There may be an allowance for offsite housing until your home damage is repaired. Keep all your bills and payments made for offsite housing. After you contact your insurance company, take pictures of the damage and log your expenses. Do not throw away your damaged property and do not make any permanent repairs. Your claim could be denied if the insurance company or adjuster is unable to see the extent of the damage to your property. If you do make permanent repairs before the adjuster has seen the damage, your claim could be denied.

Know your options when working with a property claims adjuster. You have the option of working with a company-appointed adjuster or you may choose to use a public adjuster to assist you in filing your claim. Be aware that company-appointed adjusters are working for the insurance company and, as employees, have a strong interest in denying your claim or paying less than what you are entitled to under your policy. While public adjusters charge a fee, they are professional experts in preparing and filing insurance claims, lack the conflict of interest of company-appointed adjusters by exclusively serving your interests, and the increased amount in recovery when utilizing their services serves to offset their fee.

Be sure you are working with a reputable, dependable contractor.